JPS World Language Course Descriptions
- ARABIC A Marhaba! The focus of Arabic A is to build the basic foundation for success in subsequent levels. By the end of Arabic A, students will be able to ask and answer simple questions on familiar/personal topics, understand carefully constructed speech that is sympathetic to the needs of non-native speakers, write using learned phrases and memorized expressions, and have a basic understanding of cultures in Arab-speaking countries. Topics that will be covered include: introductions, room vocabulary, school classes and supplies, and family and foods. Open to all grade levels.
- ARABIC B Marhaba! Arabic B begins where the first year left off. Students will improve and increase their three modes of communication. By the end of level B, the students will be able to start, maintain, and end a simple face-to-face conversation on topics that are familiar to them. Students will also be able to understand what is said clearly and slowly on familiar topics and read and understand authentic written materials. Further, the students will be able to describe their interests, activities, and personal experiences using several simple sentences in the present and past tenses. Topics include: school daily routine, staying fit and healthy, and creating a good community. Open to all grade levels.
- EXPLORATORY SPANISH Exploratory Spanish is a beginner course designed to guide students in the practice of being adept world citizens through the use and exploration of a language new to them. Students will be immersed in the target language and investigate Spanish-speaking cultures in their immediate, and world, communities. The four modalities of listening, speaking, reading, and writing will be practiced to acquire a foundational vocabulary, develop basic communication skills, and enhance language learning strategies in the context of Spanish-speaking cultural situations. Open to all grade levels.
- SPANISH 1A Spanish 1A is a continuation of Exploratory Spanish. In Spanish 1A, students will continue to work towards becoming adept world citizens through the use and exploration of the Spanish language. Students will be immersed in the target language, further developing a wide vocabulary and building upon the communication skills learned in Exploratory Spanish. Students will develop and practice these skills through the four language modalities of listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Students will be expected to use Spanish almost exclusively in class to enhance language acquisition. Exploratory Spanish, or equivalent course work with teacher recommendation, is required to take this course. Course is limited to 7th and 8th grade students.
- SPANISH 1B Spanish 1B is a culmination of Exploratory Spanish and Spanish 1A. Students will complete more in-depth cultural study in Spanish as well as be expected to use Spanish nearly exclusively in class. Students in Spanish 1B will also prepare for moving on to high school Spanish through more writing and reading analysis. Students will practice starting and maintaining a conversation in Spanish. At the end of Spanish 1B, students will write an essay that will be assessed for high school Spanish level placement. Spanish 1A, or equivalent course work with teacher recommendations, is required to take this course. Course is limited to 8th grade students.
- SPANISH FOR SPANISH SPEAKERS This course is designed for native Spanish speakers who demonstrate an eagerness to learn more about the language and culture of the Spanish-speaking world. Through the use of a variety of different media, including Latin American literature and social justice-based thematic units, students will be prompted to further develop their skills around the use of the four modalities of language to comprehend, interpret and apply meaning from texts, develop and communicate critical analysis, inquire and elicit information, and share information, stories, and past experiences. Open to all grade levels.